Leaf & Seed was founded by Heidi Hurwood in 2014, to provide RHS Qualified and knowledgeable gardening services in the West Sussex area.
Heidi often works on her own on smaller gardens and sometimes with Duncan West on larger plots. Profiles of both gardeners are below.
Heidi has been gardening for fifteen years, starting with her own allotment followed by several years volunteering at Ryton Garden Organic before gardening professionally.
Since 2010 she has been studying professional qualifications in order to improve her gardening skills and knowledge, and now holds:
- RHS Level Three The Management of Plant Health (2017)
- RHS Level Two Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance (2014)
- RHS Level Two Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development (2013)
- City and Guilds Certificate in Gardening (Distinction) (2010)
Heidi has taken the following courses and workshops, introducing them into her range of gardening skills:
- Gardening for Wildlife (Michael & Jane Joseph)
- Meadows: creation, management & enjoyment (Michael & Jane Joseph)
- Fruit tree pruning (Alan Sargent)
Heidi is a member of the following trade organisations:
- The Gardener’s Guild
- Chartered Institute of Horticulture, associate member
- Professional Gardener’s Guild
Heidi has volunteered at the following places and organisations:
- Friends of Station Road Gardens, Billingshurst
- Garden Organic, Ryton
- Parham House and Gardens
- Artisan Plant nurseries
- Britain in Bloom
- Warwickshire Wildlife Trust, Crackley Wood Conservation
Heidi is also a proud supporter of:
- The RHS
- Butterfly Conservation
- The Cottage Garden Society
- Billingshurst Horticultural Society
- The Bumblebee Conservation Trust
- The RSPB
Duncan has been gardening for over six years, both on his own and as part of other teams.
Duncan enjoys the design aspect of gardening as well as maintenance and particularly excels in topiary, crown lifting and having a great eye for seeing a garden’s true potential.
Heidi and Duncan have worked together for over a year and their skills compliment each other’s strengths and abilities. Duncan is an easy going, conscientious gardener that takes great pride in his work no matter what the job entails.
He has also transformed his own long, shady garden into a quiet Japanese-style space complete with running stream!
Duncan passed the RHS Level 2 Practical in 2013, at Brinsbury College, and also studied border design at Merrist Wood and tree care at Wisley.
Duncan is a member of the following trade organisation: